Missing ETX teen's grandfather: "I'm going to miss her" - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Missing ETX teen's grandfather: "I'm going to miss her"

Posted: Updated:
19-year-old Alicia Benefield 19-year-old Alicia Benefield
25-year-old Rodris Webster 25-year-old Rodris Webster

The body of 19-year-old Alicia Benefield--missing since Friday--was found Tuesday night. Investigators said her boyfriend, 25-year-old Rodris Webster, confessed to killing her and leaving her body in the woods and led them to the location.

It remains unclear why Webster took Alicia on Friday or what happened after that. But investigators believe an argument got out of hand near F.M. 31 and Elysian Fields Avenue, where Webster is accused of killing her and leaving her body.

His confession narrowed down a huge search area, and finally gave her family some peace.

"When she was around me it was always 'granddaddy' and 'I love you grand daddy' and hug me," Alicia's grandfather Joe said.

Back home after the longest night of his life, Joe said Wednesday that he had mixed emotions about the way her disappearance played out.

"It kind of made me feel sorry. It hurt me," he said. "But I was kind of relieved. We had worked for three days looking for her."

Sheriff Tom McCool said he considers the investigation a success.

"To the family that has lost Alicia, success would have been to find her perfectly alright," McCool said. "That would have been a success. And it would have been for us as well. That wasn't the case here."

McCool said he was surprised that members of both families worked with investigators and persuaded Webster to come clean.

"A great deal of success in this case can be attributed to those families and their desire to work with us to find the truth and to find Alicia," McCool said.

But it couldn't bring Alicia back.

"I just hate that she's gone," Joe said. "I'm going to miss her."

Joe said it's the worst thing that's happened in his 70 years, and yet he's ready to forgive.

"I'm not angry with anybody about that," he said. "Everybody makes their choices and I think Mr. Webster made his choice."

Webster was arraigned in Harrison County Tuesday morning. From this point the District Attorney's office will be handling the case.

He's being held on a $1 million bond.

Investigators are still waiting on autopsy results to determine exactly how Alicia died.

Family and friends said they'd been told she was strangled before being shot.

Powered by WorldNow

2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.