ETX man sentenced to 30 years for robbery and leading police on - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

ETX man sentenced to 30 years for robbery and leading police on high speed chase

Posted: Updated:
Jeremy Jarrett Jeremy Jarrett

From the Henderson County District Attorney's Office:

ATHENS,TX. (KYTX) - A Eustace man, 26-year-old Jeremy Jarrett, was sentenced to 30 years in the state penitentiary on Monday, April 7, 2014 by Judge Carter Tarrance of the 392nd Judicial District Court.

Jarrett was sentenced for a number of offenses committed in Athens on the evening of September 18, 2013.

Just after 8:00 that night, the Athens Police Department received a 911 call from the wife of the night shift clerk at the Valero gas station located at 805 E. Corsicana.

The clerk's wife saw a man, later identified as Jarrett, walk into the store and hold a large hunting knife to her husband's throat. She then exited the store and placed the 911 call.

Athens Police officers were quick to respond, as Officers Dana Dykes and Sergeant Jason McEntire arrived as Jarrett was leaving the store. Upon seeing the officers, Jarrett jumped into his truck and pulled out of the gas station.

Officers Dykes and McEntire followed, as Jarrett headed toward State Highway 31 East, exceeding speeds of 70 miles per hour in Athens city limits. Once outside the city limits, Jarrett reached speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour as Athens Police gave chase down State Highway 31 towards Tyler.

 When the pursuit hit Murchison, Athens officers deployed a "spike strip," designed to deflate the tires of a fleeing vehicle. The spike strip was deployed successfully, but Jarrett continued traveling at speeds of 85 miles per hour on the rims of the truck, eventually reaching Brownsboro. Once in Brownsboro, Jarrett slowed his car down, only to put it into reverse, backing into the pursuing Athens officers, causing damage to two patrol cars.

Jarrett then crossed over the grassy median separating the east and west bound lanes of traffic and attempted to head back east towards Athens.

However, Athens officers blocked Jarrett in the median with their patrol cars, and Jarrett became stuck. He was ordered out of the car at gunpoint but refused to cooperate with officers. Officers had to deploy a Taser against Jarrett, and took him into custody. Found during a subsequent search of Jarrett's person was $1,488 in cash and a large hunting knife.

Jarrett was indicted by a Henderson County Grand Jury in November of 2013. The six count indictment alleged Aggravated Robbery, Evading Arrest With a Deadly Weapon, Theft Over $1,500, two counts of Aggravated Assault on a Public Servant, and Criminal Mischief.   Jarrett pled guilty before 392nd District Court Judge Carter Tarrance to all six counts and was sentenced by agreement to 30 years in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Assistant District Attorneys Danny Cox and Jenny Palmer prosecuted the case on behalf of Scott McKee's District Attorney's Office.  District Attorney Scott McKee indicated he was thankful no one was seriously injured in the robbery or chase. 

"Jarrett was quickly apprehended thanks to the 911 call from a citizen and the quick response, dedication and professionalism of the Athens Police Department", said McKee.  "We can all be thankful that a few men were willing to put their own safety at risk to protect the public." 

Powered by WorldNow

2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.