UPDATE: Donald Sterling in CNN exclusive: My wife 'didn't do any - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

UPDATE: Donald Sterling in CNN exclusive: My wife 'didn't do anything' wrong, should keep her stake in team

Updated:
  • CBS19.tv Web ExclusivesMore>>

Moms-to-be learn how to be Fit for Two

Thursday, July 31 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:54:43 GMT
    Exercising during pregnancy may have more benefits than you realize. Research finds it can make labor and delivery easier on your body. There are also benefits for baby. As little as 20 minutes of moderate exercise, three times per week enhances the newborn child's brain development.  In this week's Fit City, find out how ETMC is trying to create strong moms and healthy babies with one of its programs. More >>

Web Exclusive: Rob Lowe is getting "sharky" for a TV network

Thursday, July 31 2014 9:45 AM EDT2014-07-31 13:45:11 GMT
    Actor Rob Lowe is lending his comedic talents to the Discovery channel.  In a new promo for Shark Week he throws up chum while riding two sharks.More >>

Web Exclusive: Company cancels class to nix Southern accents, y'all, after complaints

Wednesday, July 30 2014 12:00 PM EDT2014-07-30 16:00:17 GMT
    We live in the South, so some of us may have a Southern accent, but would you consider saying "goodbye" to "howdy, y'all"?
    The Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee was going to offer a speech class for its workers next month to do just that, until it got canceled.
    More >>
    More >>
UPDATE (CNN)- Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling says he's in the process of divorcing his estranged wife, but he thinks she still deserves to keep her share of the team.

"If for some reason I can't have the team, I think she should have her interest," he said in an exclusive interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper. "I mean, she didn't do anything. I brought this all on her."

On his marriage

- Sterling teared up as he talked about V. Stiviano, the woman whose voice is on the now infamous recording that includes his racist remarks. "Everybody wants to be cared for," he said. "I made such a mistake. I thought that woman really cared for me."

- Sterling said he's in the process of divorcing Shelly Sterling, who's worked with him for 58 years. "The poor girl, I don't know how she can live and deal with this," he said. "Thank God she has wonderful attorneys, wonderful, and they will protect her."

- "You know, people say, how do you commit adultery. You justify things. You say, every man in Paris or France has a mistress," Sterling said. "I mean, it may make you smile, but when you're so old you don't think it's wrong anymore if you have a little bit of fun. You don't have much time."

On racism

- Sterling says he doesn't think racism is a problem in America. "I think it's better than any other place in the world," he said.

On anti-Semitism

-- "I'm a Jew. I watch what's going on with us, too. I think it's better than it's ever been," Sterling said. "Doesn't mean there isn't anti-Semitism. There is a lot of it, especially in the South. But it doesn't matter."

On charitable work

-- "I like to help minorities," Sterling said, adding that he's contributed millions for minorities to a children's hospital, the United Negro College Fund and the NAACP.

-- "God has been so good to me. ... I'm so lucky, and so I want to give. That is what my life is all about," Sterling said. "Giving and helping wherever I can."

On Elgin Baylor's accusation that he has a 'plantation mentality'

-- "I loved the man. I respected the man. He worked for me for 23 years. Why didn't he say something if in 23 years he wasn't happy?" Sterling said about Baylor, the Clippers' former general manager and an 11-time NBA All-Star.

-- Baylor, who filed a wrongful termination lawsuit against Sterling alleging age and race discrimination, actually "walked off the job," Sterling said, when the team tried to hire someone to help him. "All they asked him to do is to have someone help him, because he never selected a good player. We never had a good player."

On why he won't just sell the team

-- "Money is not what I'm interested in. ... I want to show all of the people that are associated with basketball and the world I'm not a racist," Sterling said.

On support from advertisers and fans

-- "The advertisers are all coming back. Let's not be crazy. The fans'll all come if you have a good team," Sterling said. "If you don't have a good team, the fans won't come."

-- But will advertisers still continue supporting the team if he's the owner? "What am I, a Frankenstein? What am I, some kind of an ogre?" Sterling responded when Cooper asked the question. "I'm a good person. I'm a warm person. I say hello to everybody who comes to the team."

-- Sponsors "have every right to be upset," Sterling said. "They're trying to sell a product and I just destroyed everything, you know." But he said sponsors don't care whether he owns the team or not.

On the NBA's punishment

-- Sterling said he thinks the $2.5 million fine and the move to ban him from the NBA for life is "a little bit harsh," but he also says he thought the punishment the league handed down would be more severe.

-- "Maybe it's fair," Sterling said about the punishment. "I mean, for all of the aggravation, all the embarrassment, all the humiliation I caused them."

On whether players will boycott next season

-- "That's talk. The media pushes that," Sterling said. "Why would they do that? If they get their salaries, they're going to play."

-- "One day they all love you, and the next day you make a mistake and suddenly they hate you. Is that the way it is?" he said.

(CNN)- Magic Johnson says he behaved "like a man" when he announced his HIV diagnosis in 1991, responding to an accusation from Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling that the NBA legend "should be ashamed of himself."

"I came out like a man, you know, I told the world. I didn't blame nobody else. I understood that what I did was wrong," Johnson said in an exclusive interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper on Tuesday. "OK, so I announced that to the world and I hoped that I was able to help people in doing that, and I think I did."

On his charity work

- Johnson says his foundation has given away more than $15 million in efforts to help people with HIV and AIDS.

- "We work with great HIV and AIDS organizations across this country. We partner with them. So I don't have to sit and publicize everything I do," Johnson said. And in response to Sterling's claim that he's "done nothing," Johnson says, "I just feel sorry for him. I really do. It's sad."

- Johnson says Sterling disrespected the work he's done with minority communities, like helping coffee shops, gym and theaters open in urban areas. "That really makes me upset. And then my competitive spirit comes out, because I've done all this great work. All the kids we've sent to college, and I've got 150 kids on scholarship right now."

- "I've continued to do good work in urban America, and I will always do that. I'm devoted, my whole life is devoted to urban America. I just wish he knew the facts when talking, but he's a man who's upset and he's reaching. He's reaching. He's trying to find something that he can grab on to help him save his team. And it's not going to happen."

On HIV

- Johnson says Sterling's comments about HIV show there's still a stigma that needs to be fought.

- "I hope this doesn't set us back," Johnson said. "The stigma is still there. We know that. We've been fighting it for years, and what we want to continue to do is just educate the world that it's OK, that you can high-five a person who has HIV. It's OK. ... It's a shame that Donald used this platform with you, instead of using this platform to come out and apologize to the world, which would have been great."

On his phone call with Donald Sterling

- Johnson says Sterling called him a week ago and begged him to appear beside him in an interview with ABC's Barbara Walters. "He was adamant about me going on this show with him, I told him, no, I wouldn't do it."

- "I told him I wouldn't do it," Johnson said. "I said the Number One thing you need to do, which you haven't done, is apologize to everybody, and myself. ... I said you need to go public and apologize to everybody."

- Johnson says Sterling never apologized to him.

- Sterling gave a different account of the conversation to CNN, saying Johnson called him and told him to keep quiet rather than apologizing publicly for his comments.

On V. Stiviano

- Johnson says he doesn't know Stiviano, Sterling's friend and alleged love interest who can be heard on the now infamous recording of his racist remarks.

- "I was in disbelief that he would say these things. And then to throw me into the situation. I don't know the young lady, barely know Donald, so now I'm caught in the middle of this love affair, whatever they have," Johnson said.

- "I never met this young lady. I took a picture with her, looked like at a Dodger game. That's it. That's all I know of her, and then he (Sterling) says I'm trying to set him up. How am I trying to set you up?" Johnson said.

- "When I saw the interview, it's sad, it really is. I'm going to pray for this young man. I hope Donald can see the mistake that he has made and also the people that he has hurt along the way," Johnson said. "And then, what's really sad, you know, it's not about me. This is about the woman you love outing you and taping you and putting your conversation out here for everybody to know. That wasn't me. I didn't do that. I don't know this young lady. This is between you two."

Original Story:

(CNN) -- NBA legend Magic Johnson said Tuesday he is going to pray for Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who slammed him in an interview with CNN a day earlier for not doing enough for minorities.

"My whole life is devoted to urban America. So, you know I just wish he knew the facts when he's talking," Johnson told CNN's Anderson Cooper exclusively Tuesday. "But he's a man who's upset and he's reaching. He's reaching. He's trying to find something that he can grab on to help him save his team. And it's not going to happen. ... I'm a God-fearing man and I'm going to pray for him and hope things work out for him."

Sterling went on the offensive in his interview with Cooper when Johnson's name came up, blaming the basketball Hall of Famer for his delay in apologizing for the racist remarks that got him banned from the league.

He slammed the legendary Los Angeles Lakers point guard's character and his battle with HIV, saying Johnson hasn't done anything to help others.

"What kind of a guy goes to every city, has sex with every girl, then he catches HIV? Is that someone we want to respect and tell our kids about?" Sterling said in the interview that aired Monday night. "I think he should be ashamed of himself. I think he should go into the background. But what does he do for the black people? He doesn't do anything."

Johnson, who led the Los Angeles Lakers to five NBA championships, has been a central figure in the controversy since the recording of Sterling speaking with friend V. Stiviano surfaced last month on TMZ.

In the recording, which drew widespread condemnation from fans, players and the league, Sterling chastises Stiviano for posting pictures online of her posing with African-Americans, including Johnson. He tells her not to bring Johnson to Clippers games.

"Admire him, bring him here, feed him, f**k him, but don't put (Magic) on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me," he said.

As criticism over the recording spread, Johnson was among the first to say that Sterling should sell the team.

Now Sterling says that he waited so long to apologize about the recording because Johnson, who led the Los Angeles Lakers to five NBA championships, called him and told him to remain silent.

"I think he wanted me to just do nothing so he could buy the team," Sterling said.

Johnson hasn't indicated whether he would pursue a Clippers ownership position.

During his interview with Cooper, Sterling repeatedly apologized and denied accusations that he's racist, claiming he'd been "baited" into making what he called "terrible" remarks.

But his comments about Johnson drew immediate backlash on social media and prompted many to question Sterling's sincerity.

"That doesn't sound like much of an apology to me," Clippers Coach Doc Rivers said in a conference call.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver apologized to Johnson on behalf of the league in a statement.

"I just read a transcript of Donald Sterling's interview with Anderson Cooper and while Magic Johnson doesn't need me to, I feel compelled on behalf of the NBA family to apologize to him that he continues to be dragged into this situation and be degraded by such a malicious and personal attack," Silver said. "The NBA Board of Governors is continuing with its process to remove Mr. Sterling as expeditiously as possible."

Johnson's 1991 revelation that he was HIV-positive shocked the sports world. The athlete has drawn accolades for his openness about the illness and his push to help fight it. He's the founder of the Magic Johnson Foundation, which has raised millions for HIV/AIDS awareness.

It also provides funds for testing and treatment as well as scholarships and mentoring for minority students.

As chairman and CEO of Magic Johnson Enterprises, Johnson has invested extensively, with the company describing its mission on its website as being "a catalyst for and fostering community/economic empowerment" in "ethnically diverse urban communities."

• Local NewsMore>>

House GOP cancels vote on immigration bill

Thursday, July 31 2014 2:46 PM EDT2014-07-31 18:46:25 GMT
    Washington (CNN) -- On the last day before summer recess, dysfunction reigned in Congress.House Republicans canceled a vote on their $659 million emergency response to the border influx from Central America overwhelming immigration resources, unable to agree among themselves about what to do.More >>

New Summerfield family awaits word if body found belongs to missing loved one

Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:22:54 GMT
    Missing person Javier JimenezMissing person Javier Jimenez
    NEW SUMMERFIELD -- Jessica Jimenez is consoled by family members after learning police have found a body just days after her father was reported missing. Javier Jimenez, 44, was last seen leaving his home in New Summerfield on the morning of July 23. More >>

Nine Cases of Chikungunya Virus in Texas

Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:58 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:58:47 GMT
    AUSTIN (KYTX)- Texas Department of State Health and Services has confirmed nine Texas cases of Chikungunya, a virus that can cause fever and severe joint pain and is transmitted by mosquitoes.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.