Boko Haram fighter: Girls to be held until prisoners are release - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

Boko Haram fighter: Girls to be held until prisoners are released

Updated:

ABUJA, Nigeria (CBS News) -- The search continues in Nigeria for more than 200 schoolgirls who were kidnapped more than a month ago by Boko Haram, an Islamic terrorist group. A member of the group spoke with CBS News in a rare interview.

He calls himself Saleh Abubakar and told us he's been a member of Boko Haram for seven years. He'd been reluctant to talk to CBS News; Boko Haram has been declared a terrorist group in Nigeria.

"We go to their school and attack some of soldiers and policemen," he said.

But when asked why his group decided to target schoolgirls, Abubakar abruptly ended the interview, asking for a safer, indoor location.

He told CBS News he'd seen the girls three weeks ago, and they were being well cared for.

"Some of them will complain of headache; we have medicine," he said, when asked if any of the girls were sick. "We have everything in the place where we keep them."

Asked if any had been sold into marriage, he replied, "We do not marry them."

He said the girls had converted to Islam -- willingly, he claimed. As a result, they'd been spared being sold into slavery, as the group's leader had threatened.

"We didn't make them convert to Islam by force, just by preaching, you understand," he said.

When pressed on whether abducting the girls and forcing them to convert to Islam is the same as forcing them, he said, "As I tell you, we are not forcing anyone to accept Islam. We are just preaching to them."

He said the girls would be held captive until the Nigerian government released Boko Haram fighters from prison.

"If Allah wish, nothing will happen to them," he said. "But we ask the government if they don't release our brothers, we are not going to release them."

Asked whether the girls will be killed if the government does not release the prisoners, he replied, "I will not tell you what we are going to do."

Abubakar also told CBS News the abductions had been planned for three months before they happened, and he warned that Boko Haram intends to kidnap more schoolgirls. The group draws its inspiration from al Qaeda, and he claims they have networks around the world, including in America.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • East Texas mother's bond set at $2 million dollars in daughter's death

    East Texas mother's bond set at $2 million dollars in daughter's death

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:30 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:30:22 GMT
    UPDATE: An East Texas mother's bond is now set at $2 million dollars. Stacie Marie Parsons was arraigned in the Henderson Co. jail this morning. She is charged with the capital murder of her 4 year old daughter.More >>
    UPDATE: An East Texas mother's bond is now set at $2 million dollars. Stacie Marie Parsons was arraigned in the Henderson Co. jail this morning. She is charged with the capital murder of her 4 year old daughter.More >>
  • ‘Operation Coyote’ targets human smuggling networks

    ‘Operation Coyote’ targets human smuggling networks

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 4:43 PM EDT2014-07-22 20:43:13 GMT
    photo: (ICE)photo: (ICE)
    WASHINGTON (KYTX) — In a news conference Tuesday, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, joined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol and U.S. Deputy Attorney General announced the progress of ongoing enforcement efforts by ICE Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the U.S. Department of Justice to target human smuggling networks in the Rio Grande Valley.More >>
    WASHINGTON (KYTX) — In a news conference Tuesday, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, joined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol and U.S. Deputy Attorney General announced the progress of ongoing enforcement efforts by ICE Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the U.S. Department of Justice to target human smuggling networks in the Rio Grande Valley.More >>
  • Yantis man indicted after admitting to having sex with 12-year-old girl on school playground

    Yantis man indicted after admitting to having sex with 12-year-old girl on school playground

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 4:05 PM EDT2014-07-22 20:05:14 GMT
    photo: Wood Co. Jailphoto: Wood Co. Jail
    QUITMAN (KYTX) – A Wood County Grand jury has indicted a Yantis man on child sex abuse charges.More >>
    QUITMAN (KYTX) – A Wood County Grand jury has indicted a Yantis man on child sex abuse charges.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.