UPDATE: Suspect in Tulsa serial sex attacks has died - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports

UPDATE: Suspect in Tulsa serial sex attacks has died

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: CNN Courtesy: CNN

UPDATE: (CNN) -- The man suspected of a series of sex attacks that left an Oklahoma city on edge this summer has died, authorities said, two weeks after crashing his car as he fled the scene of one of the alleged assaults. 

Desmond Campbell, 30, was presented with charges related to seven sex crimes last week, even though he was in a hospital bed -- unresponsive and in critical condition from the wreck, Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said. The state medical examiner's office confirmed Campbell's death to CNN Tuesday.

"We were prepared to file 23 felony crimes against him, including rape, robbery and first degree burglary," Assistant District Attorney for Tulsa County Steve Kunzweiler said.

There were eight linked cases of sexual assault in Tulsa in June, according to police. They were initially linked through specific actions and statements the suspect made during the attacks.

The victims were between 56-78 years old, except for one, who was 29.

Campbell was identified as a suspect after an analysis of a "tremendous amount of absolutely miraculous evidence collection and crime scene investigation," Jordan said.

The speeding car he was traveling in struck a light pole on an interstate early on the morning of June 29, about 10 minutes after one of his alleged sexual assaults, Jordan said earlier this month. Campbell, who was not wearing a seat belt, suffered severe head injuries.

A complete autopsy, including toxicology tests, will be performed. Results won't be available for at least six to nine weeks, the state medical examiner's office told CNN.

"The death of Mr. Campbell is not going to provide any justice to these victims in a criminal court of law. The justice he will face will come from a higher authority," Kunzweiler said.

Campbell was released from prison in late April after convictions in Oklahoma City for attempted robbery, attempted kidnapping and robbery, and robbery with a dangerous weapon, Jordan said. He was imprisoned in 2007.


UPDATE: (CNN) -- A man accused of serial sex attacks in Tulsa was identified Thursday, fours days after crashing his car into a light pole while fleeing the scene of one of his alleged assaults, authorities said.

The suspect, Demond Campbell, 30, was presented with charges related to seven sexual assaults even though he was in critical condition and unresponsive in a hospital since his car wreck Sunday, Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said Thursday.

Campbell was identified as a suspect in the sex attacks after an analysis of a "tremendous amount of absolutely miraculous evidence collection and crime scene investigation," Jordan said.

Though the suspect had no criminal record in Tulsa, Jordan said, he turned up in a Google search of his name by police. It was a report of his car crash.

The speeding car he was traveling in struck a light pole on an interstate early Sunday morning about 10 minutes after one of his alleged sexual assaults, Jordan said. Campbell, who was not wearing a seat belt, suffered severe head injuries.

"He has not been responsive at all," Jordan said.

Campbell was released from prison in late April after convictions in Oklahoma City for attempted robbery, attempted kidnapping and robbery, and robbery with a dangerous weapon, Jordan said. He was imprisoned in 2007.

The spate of sexual assaults and lack of clues had left residents on edge and looking out for anything unusual.

"I hope this gives them some peace," Jordan said of the victims and community at large.

Authorities said the suspect typically broke into homes from the back, either through a window or door. He tended to be covered, and attacked when it was dark.

Victims provided diverse descriptions of the suspect, ranging from a light-skinned black or Hispanic man to a tan white man.

There were eight cases of sexual assault in Tulsa in the last month and authorities linked them because of specific actions and statements the suspect made in the attacks. But police now say one of the eight assaults is still under investigation and may not be connected, CNN affiliate KOKI reported.

The victims were between 56 and 78 years old, except for one, who was 29.

Campbell's record includes arrests in 2002 for armed robbery, in 2005 for attempted assault on a woman, and in 2006 on a warrant for assault and battery, KOKI reported. In 2006, he was convicted for attempted battery.

Jordan said investigators were checking with police in Oklahoma City to see whether Campbell was involved in additional crimes. No other arrests were expected in connection with the seven attacks, he said.

Jordan said prosecutors were preparing formal charges in the cases, some of which involved alleged sexual battery, others alleged rapes.


(CNN) -- He breaks into homes from the back, either through a window or door. He tends to be covered, and attacks when it's dark.

Police in Tulsa, Oklahoma, know that much about the man they say could be behind a string of recent sexual assaults, but little else.

They have no name. No photograph.

Victims have provided diverse descriptions of the suspect, ranging from a light skinned black or Hispanic man, to a tan white man.

"We're looking for a needle in a haystack, and it's a moving needle," Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan told reporters, CNN affiliate KOKI reported.

According to police, there have been eight connected cases of sexual assault in Tulsa in the last month. They are being linked because of specific actions and statements the suspect made during the attacks.

The victims have been between 56-78 years old, except for one, who was 29.

"These home invasions and sexual assaults are obviously horrific," Jordan said, KOKI reported.

The police chief vowed to bring the perpetrator -- whoever he is -- to justice.

'This guy needs to be caught'

Where facts are short, fear is long.

Residents are on edge and on the lookout for anything unusual in their neighborhoods.

"My best friend called me this morning when her husband was out of town and she said she slept with a shotgun," Amy Tidwell, part of an Alert Neighbors program in her Midtown neighborhood, told KOKI.

The program is part of Tulsa's Crime Prevention Network, which told the affiliate its phones have been busy with requests since the attacks.

"It's made my family less lazy, my neighbors less lazy about securing your house, and sometimes we need a wake-up call like that," said Tidwell.

KOKI also spoke with Tulsa resident Jake Floyd, who said he is concerned for the safety of his wife and daughters.

"I am turning on the alarm system. We've put up some outdoor lights on the garage, motion sensors. This guy needs to be caught or he needs to be taken out," he said.

'Lock your doors'

Police are following up on tips and asking for the public to report anything strange.

Chief Jordan also recommended ways that residents could help protect themselves.

"Lock your doors and the chance of you being a victim becomes much, much less," he said, KOKI reported.

Resident John Bevens, a Tulsa resident, told the affiliate he's confident police will eventually find the suspect.

"If he's getting bolder and bolder that means he's going to get careless because he's getting confident," he said. "They'll catch him."

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • In somber ceremony, Dutch welcome home first remains of MH17 victims

    In somber ceremony, Dutch welcome home first remains of MH17 victims

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:47 PM EDT2014-07-23 16:47:58 GMT
    CNNCNN
    (CNN) -- A lone bugler sounding the traditional military farewell "Last Post" marked the arrival Wednesday in the Netherlands of the first dead from the crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17.More >>
    (CNN) -- A lone bugler sounding the traditional military farewell "Last Post" marked the arrival Wednesday in the Netherlands of the first dead from the crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17.More >>
  • Washington family says dog reunited with Texas family belongs to them

    Washington family says dog reunited with Texas family belongs to them

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:25 AM EDT2014-07-23 14:25:07 GMT
    It was a joyous reunion for one family and a devastating loss for another. The Miller family of Tyler lost their beloved Maltese named Reese seven years ago. The little white dog escaped while the Millers were visiting family in Balch Springs.More >>
    It was a joyous reunion for one family and a devastating loss for another. The Miller family of Tyler lost their beloved Maltese named Reese seven years ago. The little white dog escaped while the Millers were visiting family in Balch Springs.More >>
  • ‘Operation Coyote’ targets human smuggling networks

    ‘Operation Coyote’ targets human smuggling networks

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 4:43 PM EDT2014-07-22 20:43:13 GMT
    photo: (ICE)photo: (ICE)
    WASHINGTON (KYTX) — In a news conference Tuesday, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, joined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol and U.S. Deputy Attorney General announced the progress of ongoing enforcement efforts by ICE Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the U.S. Department of Justice to target human smuggling networks in the Rio Grande Valley.More >>
    WASHINGTON (KYTX) — In a news conference Tuesday, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, joined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol and U.S. Deputy Attorney General announced the progress of ongoing enforcement efforts by ICE Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the U.S. Department of Justice to target human smuggling networks in the Rio Grande Valley.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

CBS19, MYTX & KCEB
2211 ESE Loop 323
Tyler, TX 75701
Phone (903) 581-2211
Fax (903) 581-5769

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KYTX. All Rights Reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.