TYLER, Texas — After being banned from the Canadian Football League in late February, Johnny Manziel has signed a standard player contract with the newly-formed Alliance of American Football's Memphis Express.
The team confirmed Manziel's signing Saturday night.
According to CBS19's sister station KENS, although the San Antonio Commanders had the rights to Manziel, the team passed on the Tylerite.
Commanders general manager and former Dallas Cowboys fullback Daryl "Moose" Johnston, without specifically mentioning Manziel, recently expressed concern that adding a high-profile player this late in the season could throw a wrench in team chemistry.
According to Yahoo Sports, Tom Dundon, the chairman of the AAF, said Manziel would not receive any special treatment and would get the same three-year, $250,000 deal every player gets.
On February 27, the CFL directed the Montreal Alouettes to terminate Manziel's players contract after it was found he reportedly contravened the agreement which made him eligible to play in the league.
“We are disappointed by this turn of events. Johnny was provided a great deal of support by our organization, in collaboration with the CFL, but he has been unable to abide by the terms of his agreement,” said General Manager Kavis Reed. “We worked with the league and presented alternatives to Johnny, who was unwilling to proceed. We are confident going into the 2019 training camp with a roster of quarterbacks that had played in our system last year and are committed to our team."
The CFL then informed all of its member clubs it would not register a contract for Manziel should any club attempt to sign him.