ATLANTA — The murder of Clark Atlanta University student Alexis Crawford has shaken a community and devastated the friends, family and student body closest to the 21-year-old.
The case rapidly developed over the weekend after police first announced on Friday that Crawford - who had last been seen Oct. 30 - was found dead.
These are the important developments in the case so far:
- Both suspects were arrested: Crawford's friend and roommate, Jordyn Jones, and Jones' boyfriend, Barron Brantley, were arrested between Friday evening and Saturday. Both have been charged with malice murder, Georgia's most serious murder charge. RELATED: Jordyn Jones arrested in connection with murder of Alexis Crawford
- Alexis Crawford reported a sexual assault before she went missing: Atlanta Police said Crawford went to Grady Hospital to file a police report alleging that Brantley sexually assaulted her days before she was reported missing. In the report, the police officer wrote, “the victim stated that the suspect rubbed his hand on her shoulder and kissed her on the neck. The victim stated that she asked the suspect what was he doing and he stated he thought she was Ms. Jones.” RELATED: Alexis Crawford filed sexual assault report days before going missing
- Asphyxiation was her cause of death: Police released a preliminary report into Crawford's death, saying she died by asphyxiation. The term refers to the general deprivation of oxygen to the point of death and doesn't on its own necessarily mean foul play since it can be caused by many scenarios. However, the murder charges suggest police believe that one or both of the suspects in the case directly and intentionally caused Crawford's death. RELATED: Alexis Crawford cause of death released
- The Atlanta University Center community is mourning: Students at Clark Atlanta and around the Atlanta University Center said many of their peers were "on edge" and that the news was "frightening." They held a vigil on Sunday evening to gather in support both of Crawford's family and of one another. RELATED: 'It's frightening': Alexis Crawford death has AUC students on-edge
- Her funeral is next weekend: Representatives for the family announced they will hold a funeral on Nov. 16 at noon at Hill Chapel Baptist Church in Athens.The Gregory B. Levett & Sons funeral home is handling arrangements. The family is asking for any contributions or well-wishes to be sent to the funeral home directly, who will pass them along. RELATED: Funeral arrangements for Alexis Crawford, slain Clark Atlanta student, announced