LONGVIEW, Texas — A Longview boy was honored Thursday for the heroic measures he took when his family's home caught fire in December 2018.

According to the Longview Fire Department, on Saturday, December 15, around 6:20 am., the LFD responded to a house fire in the 1200 block of Independence Drive. 

Elijah Stewart, 4, was in the kitchen when he saw a fire in the attached garage. He quickly alerted his family, allowing everyone to get out safely.

In the days following the fire, the LFD's Fire Education Specialist was contacted by a school counselor at Pine Tree Primary and made a trip to visit Elijah to talk about the details of the incident and his actions the morning of the fire. When asked how he remembered the importance of fire safety, he said he, "remembered all the important stuff he learned by watching the puppet show."

During Thursday night's Longview City Council council meeting, Elijah was presented with an award for his outstanding acts of bravery and courage along with other special gifts by Fire Chief J.P. Steelman, Fire Marshal Kevin May and Sparky the Fire Dog. 

011118LFDAward2PIC
Longview Fire Department

"This wonderful example of feedback demonstrates how the efforts of the Fire Education Team and our LFD crews who put on the Fire Safety Puppet Shows during Fire Prevention Month are not just being seen for the entertainment value, but do indeed hold real rewarding life saving messages," the LFD said.