The final piece of a grant funding needed to completely replace Tyler Pounds Regional Airport’s longest runway will be granted by the Federal Aviation Administration.

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao announced the FAA intends award $10.1 million to repair Tyler Pound’s runway, in a press release.

Airport Manager Davis Dickson said the airport had not been notified that it will be awarded the funds, and is in the final stages of submitting its grant application.

But, this is the fourth phase of a project that started in 2014 to replace and lengthen the runway, and Tyler has been in close contact with the federal agency along the way.

The funds would pay for 90 percent of the cost of the fourth phase, and the remaining 10 percent would be paid by the city. Previous phases were paid through the Half-Cent Sale Tax Fund.

Davis said the funding would complete the physical runway, but there are two more phases of the project that would complete the taxiways for planes to get on and off the strip

Tyler Pounds also intends to ask for a grant to help put in a new landing system, which will help direct planes in and out of the airport. Dickson said Tyler is asking for those funds this year, but has not heard if the funds will be awarded.

The $10.1 million grant is part of $185.8 million in grants awarded to 62 airports across the nation as a part of the FAA’s Airport Improvement Program, according to FAA’s news release. The program pays for various types of airport infrastructure projects, including runways, taxiways, and airport signage, lighting, and markings, which help to create thousands of jobs.

“The Airport Improvement Program helps to maintain our aviation infrastructure and supports safety, capacity, security and environmental improvements,” Secretary Chao said in the release. “This is an important investment in Tyler’s air service and in the economic vitality of the region.”

The FAA will issue the grants over the next several weeks in time to take advantage of the summer construction season, the release sates. The grants will ensure the projects at these airports are either under construction or completed prior to the onset of winter.