AUSTIN, Texas — A cumulative total of 1% of students in Texas school districts statewide have tested positive for COVID-19, as of Aug. 29.
At least 51,904 students have contracted the virus statewide. 5,340,108 students are enrolled in Texas public schools.
Of the 800,078 school staff members in Texas, 1.6% have tested positive for COVID-19 during this academic year. There have been 13,026 confirmed cases amongst staff statewide.
The following five school districts are seeing the highest percentage of students and staff testing positive for COVID-19 here in Central Texas:
- Thorndale ISD: 42 cases in staff and students, 6.3% of the population
- Lago Vista ISD: 100 cases in staff and students, 5.6% of the population
- Lockhart ISD: 236 cases in staff and students, 3.3% of the population
- Round Top-Carmine ISD: 8 cases in staff and students, 3% of the population
- Thrall ISD: 24 cases in staff and students, 2.8% of the population
According to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s list of government entities unlawfully imposing mask mandates, none of the five school districts above are requiring masks.
Gov. Greg Abbott passed an executive order in July restating that no government entity, including school districts, can require or mandate masks. Many school districts in Central Texas are doing so anyway.
Here is a look at how other districts outside Austin are doing. While all saw an increase in COVID-19 cases since the beginning of the year, some are not seeing significant rises.
- Manor ISD: 50 cases in staff and students, 0.49% of the population (mask required)
- Eanes ISD: 142 cases in staff and students, 1.6% of the population (mask required)
- Lockhart ISD: 250 cases in staff and students, 3.5% of the population (mask optional)
- Georgetown ISD: 314 cases in staff and students, 2.2% of the population (mask optional)
Lockhart ISD has called a special board meeting for Saturday, Sept. 4 at 3 p.m. to consider a mask mandate and virtual learning.
Eanes ISD is being sued for its mask mandate for violating Governor Greg Abbott's executive order banning mask mandates.
Several school districts have also had to close classrooms due to a rise in COVID-19 cases. Most recently, Round Rock ISD closed two classrooms at Great Oaks Elementary and Teravista Elementary.
Other school districts with closings include Liberty Hill ISD, Leander ISD and Hays CISD.
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: