TYLER, Texas — Emergency supply kits are essential when the threat of severe weather is looming in the area.
In some instances, having a emergency preparedness kit can be the difference in life or death.
It is important to be able to provide for yourself and your family following a severe weather emergency, as it may be tough for first responders to get to you immediately. A good supply of emergency preparedness items will ensure you and your family’s immediate needs are taken care of.
So, what do you need in your emergency kit:
- First Aid kit
- Cash (power outages mean banks and ATMs may be unavailable)
- Road maps
- Battery-operated radio
- Extra batteries
- Important documents and records (Photos, IDs, proof of residence, etc)
- Three-day supply of non-perishable food items
- One gallon of bottled water per person, per day
- Coolers for food and ice storage
- Fire extinguisher
- Sleeping bags
- Extra clothing
- Extra medications and prescriptions
- Hearing aids and other specialty medical items
- Eyeglasses and sunglasses
- Toilet paper
- Clean-up supplies
- Duct tape
- Can opener
- Booster cables
- Baby, elderly and pet supplies if necessary
- Cell phone chargers
- Family communication plan with emergency contact information
- Maps of the area
Your supplies should be kept in water resistant, easy-to-lift containers can be moved quickly, if necessary. A supply kit is appropriate for severe weather events, as well as other emergencies.
Stay weather aware with the CBS19 mobile app.
Stick with CBS19 everywhere you go. And don't worry, we've got you covered!