Churches and organizations across East Texas have come to the aid of a family who lost their home to a fire late last Thursday.

No one was home at the time and fire officials tell the family an electrical malfunction started the blaze.

Patric Taylor is a local pastor, and the house was her childhood home.

She said it has belonged to their family since the 1970's.

"I grew up here," she said. "Just to see it reduced to ashes. Words can't explain."

She said firefighters put the fire out that night but had to come back after it started burning again. She said she is still in shock.

"It's surreal," she said. "It's amazing how you can have years of furniture, pictures, pots and pans from family members that have gone on and reduced to ashes, rubble, it's gone."

She helps take care of her mother and daughter who lived there who both suffer from health issues.

"We don't know how to feel right now," she said. "Every holiday we would come together and be all out in the yard, it'd be so many people, but now it's gonna be hard not being able to be here and celebrate Christmas together as a family. Breaks my heart but I know we're gonna get through this, I know we're going to recover, I know God's got it. I know He has us."

The family has a long way to go to recover their possessions, but she said her phone has been ringing off the hook.

"It is great knowing in the midst of tragedy people step up for you and I'm grateful, forever grateful," she said. "I make sense of it by holding on to my faith in God and feeling like Job when he said 'Though you slay me, yet will i trust you.' I know He restored everything Job had double so I'm just waiting for the manifestation of the restoration. I may not can see what He's doing now, but I know it's going to be awesome."

A benefit program will be held for the family on December 15 at 5 p.m. at Greater Shiloh Baptist Church.