CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — There is growing concern over a new mutation of COVID-19 that has emerged in southern Africa. The World Health Organization is calling Omicron a "variant of concern" as more nations report new cases, including Canada.
Dr. Gregg Silverman joined First Edition to discuss what is currently known about the variant, which isn't much.
"Well I know that Fauci doesn't know much either, I watched a news portion yesterday and Fauci said we are not quite sure if this is more of less dangerous than the last one," Silverman said.
Different countries are currently treating cases differently because this is a very new variant.
"It appears to be a little bit easier to catch, that's what they're concerned about with this one."
Dr. Silverman urges those who haven't to get vaccinated and continue to be vigilant.
You can watch the interview in full above.
For the latest updates on coronavirus in the Coastal Bend, click here.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- TRAFFIC: JFK Causeway Bridge lane closures start Monday
- 'Selena was given blood,' father says, addressing false allegations he prevented life-saving help
- Gov. Abbott files for re-election, joins 3News live
- Abraham's Journey, Part 2: Quintanilla discusses family's rise to fame, life after Selena's passing
- Caught on Camera: Thieves target Fireworks shop in Calallen
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.