TYLER, Texas — As of Tuesday morning, more than 146 shelters and warming stations opened throughout the state, including several in East Texas.
Many of these places encourage people to come with blankets, chargers, as well as something to sit on, and masks are required. People who need to use the warming centers are also encouraged to call ahead if possible to check for space.
CBS19 has compiled a list of warming centers across the region:
The Pitser Garrison Convention Center will remain open as a cold-weather shelter for those without power through at least Thursday.
They currently have about 15 guests staying at the shelter and there is room for a lot more. You need not call ahead to stay at the shelter.
They will ask COVID-19 screening questions upon your arrival. They ask that everyone wear a mask. A shelter curfew (for those staying in the shelter) will be enacted from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
There is no cutoff time to enter the shelter. Please drive slowly and carefully as the roads as still extremely icy.
- Central Baptist Church in Jacksonville
- Alto Community Fellowship
- Rusk Civic Center
- Highway 69 Mission (reported full Tuesday morning)
The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office is providing transportation to those in need. If someone needs help getting to a shelter, call 903-683-2271.
- Hiway 80 Rescue Mission in Longview
- Salvation Army in Longview
- House of Hope (Women only) in Longview
- Longview Public Library (2 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
- Christian Youth Foundation (Disciples Crossing) in Athens
- Murchison School (9961 E Bankhead St)
- Lakeside Baptist Church in Trinidad
- Christian Life Center Church in Gun Barrel City
- Oran White Civic Center in Tool
Rusk County is opening a “Warming Shelter” at the Youth Expo Center for residents who do not have heat in their homes. The facility will open beginning at 6 p.m., Tuesday, February 16.
Face coverings and social distancing will be mandatory. While water and restrooms will be available, residents should bring their own food or snacks, bedding (such as blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, etc.) and any other necessities such as medications or toiletries. The facility is not currently equipped to shelter pets or other animals.
The shelter is located at 3303 FM 13 in Henderson. Please use extreme caution while traveling.
- Arp Volunteer Fire Department (107 W Longview St)
- Red Springs Volunteer Fire Department (16759 FM14)
- Grace Community Church in Tyler
- Poke In Da Eye BBQ
- Green Acres Baptist Church
- Bethel Baptist Church, located at 504 W. 32nd St., will open today at 5 p.m. and will be open overnight. Contact: Ricky Garner at (903) 312-0734. Tyler Fire is providing 50 cots at this facility.
- Shiloh Road Church of Christ, located at 1801 Shiloh Rd - in the Gym behind the main church - is open now and will be open overnight.
- Kingdom Church located at 1818 N. Confederate Ave. Open now and plan to remain open overnight and through tomorrow. Contact Darrius Harris at (903) 636-3275. Unable to accommodate pets.
- Dayspring United Methodist Church at 310 W. Cumberland Rd., will open at noon today. This warming center will have room for up to 100 residents and is open overnight. Contact Pastor Rusty McKee to let him know you are coming at (832) 967-8988. Pets can come into the warming center if they are inside a portable kennel.
- St. Louis Baptist Church at 4000 Frankston Highway. Open until midnight. Contact Pastor Caraway (903) 561-2167. Unable to accommodate pets.
- Grace Community Church - Old Jacksonville Campus, 3315 Old Jacksonville Highway. Contact Stephen Wickliffe at (903) 216-9651. Unable to accommodate pets. Tyler Fire is providing 40 cots at this facility. Open overnight.
- The Salvation Army, 633 N. Broadway Ave., (903) 592-4361. Open 24/7.
- Highway 80 Rescue Mission, 601 E. Valentine St., (903) 363-9265. Open overnight.
Tyler Transit will be working with NDMJ, LLC taxi service to provide free rides to local warming centers. To request a ride, call (903) 520 8281 and leave a message with your home address, drop-off location, phone number and name.