The suspect in a shooting spree across Odessa and Midland on Saturday purchased the weapon through a private sale, ABC has confirmed with multiple law enforcement and federal sources.
According to federal law, a private seller may not sell to a person who is flagged, but the seller isn't required to conduct a background check or ask the buyer's status, ABC says.
This private sale loophole is how 36-year-old Seth Aaron Ator purchased the gun authorities say he used to kill seven and wound more than 20 others across a 10-mile stretch of Odessa and Midland, Texas.
Over the weekend, Gov. Greg Abbott Abbott tweeted that Ator didn't go through a background check for the weapon he used in Odessa, but the governor did not elaborate.
Ator had previously failed a federal background check for a firearm, said John Wester, an agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Wester did not say when Ator failed the background check or why.
Officers killed Ator outside a busy Odessa movie theater following a 10-mile stretch of shootings.
The shootings come less than a month after 22 people died in a rampage at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas.
In Texas, a private seller can be charged with a Class A Misdemeanor if they sell a gun to someone knowing they will use it unlawfully.
A private seller also cannot sell a gun to someone who is intoxicated, at the center of a protective order, or to a felon within 5 years of their release from jail, supervision, or parole.
If convicted, the seller could face up to a year in jail, a $4,000 fine or both.
Federal investigators are now trying to determine who sold the weapon to Ator.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
More related WFAA coverage:
- Walmart to stop selling handgun ammunition
- Dale Hansen commentary: We couldn't even make it a month in Texas without another mass shooting
- 'We'll get through this': Neighbors in West Texas want to focus on sense of community
- Will common ground on gun safety be easier to find after multiple mass shootings in Texas?