TYLER, Texas — Emergency supply kits are essential when the threat of severe weather is looming in the area.
In some instances, having a emergency preparedness kit can be the difference in life or death.
It is important to be able to provide for yourself and your family following a severe weather emergency, as it may be tough for first responders to get to you immediately. A good supply of emergency preparedness items will ensure you and your family’s immediate needs are taken care of.
So, what do you need in your emergency kit:
- First Aid kit
- Cash (power outages mean banks and ATMs may be unavailable)
- Road maps
- Battery-operated radio
- Extra batteries
- Important documents and records (Photos, IDs, proof of residence, etc)
- Three-day supply of non-perishable food items
- One gallon of bottled water per person, per day
- Coolers for food and ice storage
- Fire extinguisher
- Sleeping bags
- Extra clothing
- Extra medications and prescriptions
- Hearing aids and other specialty medical items
- Eyeglasses and sunglasses
- Toilet paper
- Clean-up supplies
- Duct tape
- Can opener
- Booster cables
- Baby, elderly and pet supplies if necessary
- Cell phone chargers
- Family communication plan with emergency contact information
- Maps of the area
Your supplies should be kept in water resistant, easy-to-lift containers can be moved quickly, if necessary. A supply kit is appropriate for severe weather events, as well as other emergencies.
Stay weather aware with the CBS19 mobile app.
- Click here to download the iPhone app.
- Click here to download the iPad app.
- Click here to download the Android app.
Stick with CBS19 everywhere you go. And don't worry, we've got you covered!